Reflecting on Yenawine’s recommendations for
image selection, was your Teacher’s Choice image an appropriate choice for your
students, considering their age, stage, interests, and needs at this time?
Explain why or why not.
- Accessibility- Yes, there were many recognizable objects for them to grasp, which was good for some of my lower level students who still need to make blunt observations about what they see.
- Expressive content- Yes, we had many interpretations of what could have possibly been going on to make the figure's body in this position.
- Narrative- Somewhat, students were again wondering why the figure's body would be in that position, and what the relationship between the male and female was.
- Diversity- Somewhat, the figures weren't as diverse as the ones we had previously looked at. The students noticed how the figures were very pale. I thought they might mention how the woman's dress might appear from an older time period, but it didn't come up.
- Realism- Somewhat, the figure's positions were so abnormal that it was the focus of our conversation. However, there were recognizable objects which made it more accessible. It was a bit more surreal, which I thought might be a good push for them, but might be a little too soon when we need more of a narrative.
- Series/themes- I continued the theme of people doing things in a room, but instead of one person or a family it was focused on a couple, which might have been too distracting for the kids.
- Media- This was a painting, as I was hoping we might push into some stage two thinking about artistic choices, but we didn't discuss many of them.
In what ways did the image challenge them? Was the challenge too great, too little, just
right? What did you observe that makes you say that?
The image seemed to challenge the students because for the first time, there was something heavily abstract about the image we were looking at. This caused them to wonder what was going on to make the figure's body so disproportionate/ out of normal position. While I was hoping this might push them into some stage two thinking, they were still looking for a blunt narrative, as I expected. For example, there were statements made like: He is doing a flip, he is a ghost, he is a vampire, they are on the moon. So in that sense, it was interesting to see them come up with possible explanations. This was enhanced by the figure's pale colors. There were a few deeper statements like "I think he's trying to be in a relationship with her."
What features/aspects of the work of art and its
narrative did the students notice? What intrigued them?
As suspected with 4th grade students, this image got an immediate reaction of, "EWWWWWW" because of "the kiss." That was our first comment, and thankfully we moved beyond it as the male's position became more interesting since it was so abnormal. We even had a student disagree about the fact that they were kissing. How the bodies were so contorted became the main focus of the discussion.
What opportunities for SCAFFOLDING did this
image provide? How did you and/or students address and support those during the
VTS discussion?
Based on our previous images, the students had been telling me what they saw people doing in certain rooms. Sometimes, there would be a narrative made between the people we were looking at. So, this one provided us with a view into work that is a bit more abstract. I'm hoping that that can get them thinking about artist's intent, and having to think beyond what they're literally seeing. It was good for them to still have opportunities to tell me their blunt observations, but still be challenged to think of WHY something was made to look not normal. I am hoping that will open doors for people to start thinking that the artist made a choice for a reason. Whenever students agrees or disagree with something a student says, there is usually solid evidence to support it. That shows me they are looking for concrete evidence and finding many details to support a certain theory. Also that they are listening to each other, and learning to take in other people's opinions.
Were there any surprises?
MORE KIDS TALKED THIS TIME. BAM. I was so excited that some of my ELL kids joined in on the conversation. They felt comfortable to disagree, and gave evidence why. Not all ELL kids are talking yet, but we are getting there. I was surprised that we didn't talk about more details in the image, and so much of it revolved around the people.
Would you use this image again with a similar
class of students? Explain.
II think it was fine, but could have been better. I would avoid the whole kissing "EW" scenario and just pick something that involves kids so they better relate to it. I would also look for something that has a lot of potential or clear clues for a narrative. I think that's what they're really excited about. I was jealous of some people's Norman Rockwell paintings, so I would look into some of those in the future possibly. I would also be interested to see my students VTS a photograph, especially one that has a sense of production, almost like a film still. Darn, now I'm thinking of some other good artists...

Wow! You took a risk with this image and really learned a lot from it about not only your kids, but the kinds of images that will generate the most satisfying and productive discussion for them. Yenawine say that we want to intrigue kids, but not stump them. This one seems to have really challenged them but still, the fact that more kiddos had something to say means it certainly wasn't a failure!! Love that your ELLs are starting to chime in! The silent ones will come along, so don't be discouraged. Allow them a silent period; when they begin to talk, it may come out like a flood!
ReplyDeleteIt is awesome that you had more kids talk this time! I remember you writing about having a boy dominate class and I noticed that for sure, but you did have some girls share! It's great that your ELL kids feel comfortable enough to share their ideas. They might feel more comfortable with you to as they have gotten to know you over the semester. I like that you are trying to get them to think about artist intention. Sometimes I wonder if my classes were less disruptive if we could dig a little deeper. It seems that when I have to stop, like you also did, that sometimes the conversation gets lost and it can be hard to pull it back. As for not noticing alot of the details, that could be a good thing if they are wondering more about the "why" in the middle of the artwork then picking up on more of the little things. Watching to the video you could also tell they were listening to each other when they agreed or disagreed or came up with another idea for what was going on, which is great. I very much appreciate that you are trying to challenge them and as Mary also said something that it must not have been to much since they had plenty to say. Your comment on choosing images with children as something they can more easily relate to would go along with our readings about choosing the "right" image for your viewers. The adults closeness maybe to much for the maturity of these viewers but may be fine for students a bit older. Great job on the video! We both have challenging groups. We are showing the "real" side of the art room. = ) I also like your turn to your partner activity when you were finishing up. How well do they transition into your lesson?
ReplyDeleteYou and Lori are certainly kindred spirits with the challenging kiddos. Still, you are both to be congratulated for the amount of listening and thinking you are fostering among your kids. Imagine them three years from now if you continue VTSing!!
ReplyDelete