Sunday, November 9, 2014

VTS1: Peer Coaching 3.

Ginia-

I was very impressed with on or two of your students are becoming stage two viewers. It's even more exciting to hear that they are doing so despite other academic challenges. They are also very thorough in linking their ideas off of one another, which you reinforce during paraphrasing which is great.

I noticed several times in your video that you were naturally using conditional language. The note card might be helpful, but I think it comes with practice and reminding yourself that you cannot take any assumptions for granted. That will also help with question two. So even if it painfully obvious that it is a truck, "This object that you think could be a truck" or "What do you see that makes you say this is a truck?" That makes them provide evidence for the observations that feel extremely obvious, but can't be taken for granted. How do you know it is a truck from any other vehicle?

I saw you get stumped by Riley's comment about the license plate, as it was very cut and dry. Paraphrasing those simple observations is fine. However, be careful about asking if they can find anything else/more, because that might make the student feel like their contribution was incorrect or not as important. Also, there are a few times when you transition using "Ok" or "OK, good" which doesn't seem to bother your students, but also has the same potential to make some feel more correct than others. So just try to keep your response the same each time so it's neutral :)

I agree that your students were engaged and I had a sense watching your video that your students were enjoying the conversation/process, and that they will keep impressing you the more they grow! I bet you get a few more stage two viewers developing soon! Good job, and great job sneaking in some nice vocabulary words while paraphrasing. Keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment