I've chosen to do Marc Chagall's Birthday with my fourth grade students.
I'm hoping that it will ping well off of our previous discussions, as we have been doing several images of "People inside doing things." However, this one becomes a bit more abstract with the position of the figures as well as perspective. My students enjoy creating narratives, which I'm hoping will be appropriate with this kiss. But I think the intertwined people with different facial expressions will give them potential content to talk about for the relationship. I also think (coming off of Halloween) the abstract body positions and skin tone could have students wondering why they are floating, or if they are ghosts. My students also like pointing out (fairly obvious) details of objects that they recognize, and there are several in here for them to find. They've also been noticing the clothing that people are wearing, and using that as a reference point for a time period.
My conversations tend to be male dominated, so I'm glad that there is both a male and female in this image. I'm also glad that there are words my ELL students would be able to recognize, especially given our previous conversations. Ex: Window, flowers, table, dress...
I always have a fear of an image being too simple/not intriguing. But I've felt that way about almost every image in the curriculum so far, and our conversations have been great. So, I'm hoping that it continues with this one as well.
Anyone think the kiss will be a problem? Should I address it before showing the image? Only address it if it becomes a problem? 4th graders, I just never know...

This is a great image! Pay attention as you begin facilitating this to see if they begin listing before they attempt construction of a narrative. I have a theory that viewers, regardless of age or stage, initially list before attempting to weave a narrative when the work is really confusing to them. They work it out, but start with the behaviors that are most basic: naming and creating a list. It has enough object that they will recognize to make it accessible; the arrangement and relationships between those objects, however, will baffle them, but hopefully inspire them as well. Eager to hear how it went!
ReplyDelete