Thursday, February 7, 2013

Satire.

Bird suggests that the Egyptians could have started the process of satire by using animals to represent the human condition, to other political propaganda throughout time. I recognize satire as becoming strong and apparent in the early twentieth century. Mainly, because WWI brought about a very critical eye of society in many artists internationally. Bird mentions the work of Geroge Grosz, while Otto Dix is another artist who also dealt with satire of Germany after the first two world wars. This was obviously a huge subject matter to tackle, while satire can be found in art on smaller issues that artists choose to take a stance upon.

I believe this can be done well in the world of photography. Specifically, photojournalism. Photographers can serve as people who document life and aggressively show societal truths that others try not to look at. I like to try and do this with photography by pointing out flaws or ridiculousness that I see in the world but am scared to point out to anyone's face. Satire can still be done with other artwork of any dimension. I find it interesting that some art seems to be so grotesque or repulsive, that it becomes universally repulsive, and the satire is seen automatically. Some artwork however, needs the subject to have a counterpoint to get the artist's message across.

(A counterpoint means the opposite end of the spectrum that the artist is responding to. For example, to make a statement about how the wealthy do nothing to help the poor, having a wealthy person in the same piece as a poor person serves as a counterpoint. The viewer sees a person in need, and the satire becomes clear when the wealthy person is brought into view.)

For this reason, I would suggest that my students try to think about ways to incorporate counterpoints in their artwork to show both ends of the spectrum so that their message is clear. This becomes a challenge to show opposites paired together, giving a sense of juxtaposition. It also forces them to think about the issue as a whole. They would have to think about how status, personality, and power are displayed visually in people in order to convey differences. How the presence of one end of the spectrum can be displayed through objects, disruption, and environment, without the use of the figure. All in all, they have to think about the visual symbols for the opposing morals, and find ways to juxtapose them within the same composition.

This also brings up the topic of censorship. If they were stuck for ideas, I would have them journal about, "What do you wish you could say to someone or the world that you are scared to?" Or, "What do you think is just ridiculous or funny about people?" "What do you find morally wrong about people?" This also requires a great deal of conversation on how artwork has been used satirically and in ways that were meant to offend or arouse society. However in a public school setting, it is difficult to manage displays on this subject matter, for one may not be allowed to display artwork that is too offensive to anyone in the school body.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lori! Popping in to say I love your idea about using the idea of counterpoints with students. You framed it in a very concise way and I am excited to consider how it might work in one of my altered books classes. Thanks for your inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete