Friday, February 22, 2013

Allegory.

Bird explains that allegory is, a way to describe something in a different manner. He claims that it is different than metaphors or similes due to its specific reliance on personification. Bird points to many examples of personification through female figures dating from Ancient Greece to the Statue of Liberty.

I feel that I use the female figure throughout my work to personify emotions through body language, performance, and art. I see this as a great opportunity to work with satire and stereotypes as other artists have done before.

Students would have to be able to think of visual symbols that represent that person, what kind of figure is associated with the idea, and how to portray that, especially through clothing/costume, body langure, and facial expression. Maybe this would therefore be a great idea for middle school kids who tend to have that obsessive nature over clothing details.

I could see students from a variety of ages create drawings or pictures of

  • What the four seasons would look like as people...great for Elementary
  • What the seven deadly sins would look like as people...great for High School
  • What each holiday would look like as people...possibilities for satire!
  • Developing a list of characteristics they think their alter ego would have and creating a character to represent them...Confronts censorship and self-awareness.
  • What would each collegiate major look like as people...Cindy Shermann, stereotypes, satire!
  • What person do you see evolving from a certain song...Kandinsky with figures.
  • Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse as people...(I'm not sure if they're thoroughly described or not)
  • The twelve months as people...Elementary
  • What do high school clicks look like...Cindy Shermann, steroetypes, Carrie's blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment