I think this important connection to identity is important and has been explored through the means of cultural, ethnic, and racial identity. This can also incorporate themes of appearance and their physical stereotypes or discriminations.
I find it interesting that I would say in modern US Society, tattoos have a negative stigma associated with them. I however have tremendous respect for artists who can work with this medium and surface to create beautiful images, with no mistakes possible.
Since my work relies heavily on self-portraits and an aspect of performance, I would like to add this element to some of my photographs for self-portraits to add elements of identity and text through my images. Like writing or visual symbols.
- Students could use washable materials to alter parts of their body that they are comfortable with (And school appropriate) to express their identity or show what that part of the body is commonly used for.
- Students could do this same activity but draw a design representing themselves visually on a transparency, or on paper to be scanned in, then project it over themselves. This way there are no actual marks being made on the student, but it appears as if it is on them. It could be a performance piece, or it could be photographed. Would make a great collaborative gallery for a school's identity.
- Students could digitally draw or overlay images onto their skin in photoshop to digitally brand themselves with their identity.
- Students could make a print on an appropriate body part.
- Students could alter images of figures they find digitally or on printed works to make a statement about the person depicted or their larger cultural identity.

No comments:
Post a Comment