Monday, January 28, 2013

Series.

Bird discusses the development of series of artwork in two different ways. Both routes require the artist to create works of art that are strong enough individually, but have a connection between them. This connection can be seen through a narrative, a story with an evolving message. The other way artworks can become a series is without a narrative, but different approaches or ideas to a central theme. For any series, the viewer must be able to make connections between individual works to arrive at an overlying central message or idea, which is a more holistic type of thinking.

I had always thought of a series as an evolving idea, or a story with one or a few similar characters. I was very intrigued by the idea of having one central idea, where the individual works of art make different statements about the same theme. I think I could use this in my work to show different variations of a theme, or multiple opinions/viewpoints on the same idea. It reminds me of having the opportunity to tell the same story through different people's/character's perspectives, which can show dramatic irony, secrets, assumptions, and the complications or conflicts that occur in daily life. I also think that having multiple statements centered around one idea instead of one central message allows for deeper contemplation from the viewer. I could show "A day in the life" of two different characters with two very different approaches to the same situation. Another possibility is to show two or more contrasting opinions on a similar issue, especially political topics. Perhaps there is even a way to combine the two different approaches to a series and show one character evolve through two different opinions.

I think making artwork as a series is important for the artist themselves to work through an idea completely. Rarely does a person approach a topic, immediately form an opinion, and stick with it for life. Or if they do, I disagree with this course of action. Personally, I think big ideas should be contemplated, seen from all perspectives, worked through, and subject to change due to circumstances and an open mind. This shows a higher level of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment