While in modern times we tend to be more distinct in our own national or ethnic identities, art can be a way to bridge the gap across different cultures. This was done more frequently in the past, as seen through the influence of the Greek art on Roman art. Examples continue into the 18th and 19th century when African Art influenced other European artists such as Gaugin and Picasso. When artwork is introduced among different areas, the artists can be influenced by varying art practices, and introduce them into their own environment. When artists are the "fences" for these new aesthetics or ideologies coming into a new surrounding, it allows for a larger impact on society due to new perspectives, materials, traditions, ideas, and tolerance.
It's difficult for me to say that I believe my artwork will be in an international exhibit, or exhibited anywhere out of the United States. However I believe my artwork has been greatly influenced by all artists I have seen. As humans, I don't believe we are ever free of influence. Through pop culture, my ability to see, media, studio courses and art history courses, I have been exposed to several works of art that were created throughout time and across cultures. I have learned what I like, and what I don't like for both art practices and conceptual ideas.
I find it most interesting that artwork has the potential to be global because of the universality of the human condition. People have universal emotions, which in my opinion, is the heart of all artwork and experiences. We may not have the exact same religions, traditions, attire, or politics throughout the world, but everyone has experienced the same emotions behind these situations in one form or another. This is why I would like to continue to incorporate content into my own artwork, so that the emotion has the same appeal to people from people all over the world. The viewer may not have been grieving, angry, lonely, scared, happy, or confused for the same reasons I was. But, they can understand my piece and my message, because they too at some point have been grieving, angry, lonely, scared, happy, or confused.
No comments:
Post a Comment