Thursday, January 31, 2013

Narrative.

Storytelling has been of vital importance throughout time and across the world. Art has been one of the ways that people have told their stories, a necessity for survival and the legacy of people. Bird explains how stories can be revealed visually in a traditional sequential manner, from beginning to end. Alternatively, stories can also be told out of order, leaving the viewer to interpret the correct order. Another part of storytelling with art can be to show opposing perspectives or environments within the same body of work.

I am most intrigued at the idea of presenting stories out of order. I specifically liked how Bird mentioned this technique can be helpful in showing the fallibility of memory and trauma. Furthermore, I wonder if it is possible to show transformation out of order in order to make the viewer onder which way the transformation occurred  This would force people to realize that transformation can happen in either direction, and isn't just the one presented for this particular instance. The option of telling a story within one piece or throughout a series also raises the question of if a story can be told through one moment or multiple. This causes artist to think about the act of selection and choosing how many, and which moments are needed to convey the story. I also like showing that there are "two sides to every story" by showing multiple perspectives, particularly for politically charged pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment