Big Idea Book: Guest Entry: Pages 5,6
Guest Artist: Jessie Hicks
Big Idea Book: Pages 7,8
Medium: Acrylic, tissue paper, pastel, colored pencil.
I really responded to my guest artist, Jessie Hicks, when she wrote in my book, "Even when I'm on the back porch doing drugs and smoking cigarettes, I still feel innocent." This added a new idea to my book that one does not have to be young to be labeled innocent. Furthermore, innocence could be in the eye of the beholder. It seemed that innocence really was a FEELING that one had within themselves, not one that is necessarily perceived by others. This lead me to an additional definition, where if one is at peace with their own actions, as well as the actions that have been done to them by others, this can lead to a form of innocence.
While it is difficult to see in the photograph, there is a white tissue paper square on the left page, which was inspired by the painting "White on White" which reminded me of innocence- to be free from any specific representation. I changed the backgrounds to different hues/shades of white to represent the idea that there isn't one form of innocence to come from, that it can be different for each person as they feel it or experience it. The birds show a difference in age, and illude a feeling of tranquility.
As a reminder, I chose to alter the book The Catcher in the Rye, for when I read this book I connected with the main character, Holden Cauflield. Holden wants to still feel innocent himself, while protecting the innocence of other children. This is symbolized in the books metaphor of being a "Catcher in the Rye." The specific quote, "And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff — I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day." Reflects part of my purpose for protecting the innocence of others in my life and career.


No comments:
Post a Comment