Sunday, October 19, 2014

VTS1: Week 8 Blog Assignment.

What do you think you are doing well?
Right now, I'm happy with my comfort of the second question. I feel like I know when it is appropriate to simply paraphrase back when a really blunt simple observation is stated. I feel comfortable asking, "What do you see that makes  you say that?" And I am happy with the responses my students are able to give me. When a student is offering their own evidence, I feel like I am doing a good job paraphrasing it all back, or trying to pick out something specific to question an assumption they stated in their evidence. I also feel like my instructions of the expectations during VTS have gotten better each time, which helps eliminate problems each time.

How have you grown since your first VTS experience w/ professional peers?
I feel like I was really unaware of what to do when someone said something bluntly obvious. I also feel like I have been aware of how to neutralize some potentially disrespectful comments. Now that I have been becoming more comfortable with the second question, I feel like I am starting to add in the linking pieces to what other kids are saying, specifically referencing them by name.

Have there been any surprises for you so far?
I've been surprised at how excited I am about them simply agreeing or disagreeing with each other respectfully. That to me seems like such a big deal that can be overlooked. I've had a lot of problems with respect in my classes, so when we sit down and agree/disagree respectfully, I say how proud I am of them for doing that. And then when the discussion is over and students start to be disrespectful, I can remind them of our VTS discussion and how they were able to use respectful words with each other like adults. I think that is a really important life skill that I have been trying to hound into them, and I love how easily it shows up during VTS.

What do you still want to work on?
I still want to work on managing the class as a whole during a discussion. Sometimes my kids come in totally riled up and ready to pick on each other, and I miss things that are happening when I am so focused on the speaker, paraphrasing etc., Using Mary's advice of stopping the speaker and apologizing to the speaker for having to pause for students who are not being respectful, has helped. And like I mentioned, I feel like I'm setting up my my expectations better before the discussion. Shorter discussions are also better. So I'm trying to push myself to go from VTS facilitator, to facilitator+classroom manager at the same time, which is proving to be a challenge at points. It's just another ball to juggle while facilitating. I also really hope my ELL kids are engaged and learning vocabulary. Engagement seems to be increasing just slightly more each time, so I hope more students will participate the more I remind them to state one observation at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Agreeing and disagreeing respectfully is HUGE for this group of students, Lori, and you should be so proud! It is the product of your persistence and even-temperedness with them and your refusal to lower the bar! In the first video I suspected, despite the talking out and apparent disengagement that these kids were very bright and WANTING to participate appropriately; they just didn't have any experience with respectful turn-taking OR adults who listened to them and viewed them as capable. I just mentioned something to Danielle that might offer insight to you. I was working toward ESL certification at one time and read alot about second language acquisition. A guy named Steven Krashen recognizes a "silent period" as characteristic of learners acquiring a new language. During this time they are listening and watching, just not speaking. When they are ready, when language input is comprehensible, and when the eliciting stimulus is compelling, they will talk. It may not be this semester, but I feel confident that if you keep VTSing with them, their silent periods will give way to verbal participation. I can hardly wait to see your final video!!

    ReplyDelete