Kaj-
Sounds like you had a great first experience, Kaj!
I was also slightly nervous, and on some level also felt like I couldn't believe that it was just working so easily! I agree with you that the notecard is a nice tool to have with you as you begin the process, I used one too.
Reading what the students saw, they noticed so much more in VTS than I did when I quickly looked at the image on your blog! It is SO impressive what they are noticing. Because they are talking about art vocabulary, the details included in certain animals, the shape of the design and so on, I agree that they are definitely thinking like stage 2 viewers. So much of their discussion was about the artistic choices made and the artist's intent. It's interesting that they are very comfortable doing so, and are becoming so analytical as they look at a piece of artwork. I know they are still capable of thinking of content for the work, and am curious to see what types of discussions they will have with you when their is a piece with a bit more of a narrative to it.
I agree that paraphrasing is difficult at times, because it completely depends on the student response. Sometimes if the statement is pretty obvious, remember that it is ok to let the second question disappear and simply paraphrase back to them. If you can pick out a question, remember that it is good for them to provide evidence even on seemingly simple things like "I see two C's in there that make me think it's the artist's signature."
My advice for body language/gestures would be to remember that whatever you do, just do what feels natural, but EVERY TIME. I tried to think of a "home base" pose, which was both of my hands on my notecard in front of me. So, I would keep my hands on the note card, remind myself to point when the student was talking, and then bring them right back to my note card. Remembering to point can even slip your mind when you are focused on the student's answer, but it helps you confirm what they are talking about and build vocabulary for any English Language Learners.
Mary's kids definitely have lots of practice with VTS, but sounds like YOU lead them through a great discussion! Good job!
No comments:
Post a Comment