Saturday, August 30, 2014

VTS1: Week 1 Blog Assignment.

I've decided to try implementing VTS in one of my 4th grade classes. They visit me for 50 minutes every three days. The class has 18 students in it, and eight of them are English Language Learners. One student has a mood disorder, but no other students have learning disorders. Typically, they are a pretty calm and quiet class, but have been having a lot of student drama lately. My ELL students are the ones who are VERY quiet, so I am curious to see how they interact with VTS.

I feel like this class is an interesting mix because of the quiet ELL students, some behavior problem students, students who have an average interest in art, and students who have an above average interest in art. Some students have a few behavior issues, but they seem to go away once they are engaged. I am hoping that the permission to wonder eliminates some of these behavior issues during class discussions because of the engagement. So I really hope that the images can be intriguing enough for them to want to figure out what is going on. I am also hoping that the ELL students will be engaged in the image, because sometimes I feel like I lose their attention and they "check out" because they might not understand me blabbering on in English. Particularly, I'm hoping that they can understand that we are discussing many options as a class, and that I'm not just telling them more information, so that it will help keep them engaged internally, even if they aren't participating verbally as much. Overall, I think my class does much better when I allow them to be part of the conversation instead of lecturing information at them.


8 comments:

  1. Lori, I know you will do well with the permission to wonder in your classroom, I think is will also help your problem student to understand the information. Just keep with it and it will all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, it will be interesting to see how your ELL students do with the VTS. Hopefully they will "understand" the visual image even if they can't understand the spoken English. I would think it would be a good way for them to develop some new vocabulary. They will probably learn a lot just from the interaction of the whole class. Let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Cindy about the use of VTS helping to develop vocabulary skills for your ELL students (for all students, really). Although I'm fluent in English :), my background is not in art, so I was a little intimidated beginning this program. When Mary did the VTS session with us this summer in Kathy's course, I was encouraged by the format because I quickly realized we were all simply expressing what we saw happening in the picture. I hope this works the same way for your students... everyone can be on the same playing field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, I am in agreement with you about using an image that will be intriguing enough to keep the interest and engagement high. It will be interesting to observe the interest among all students considering the different interest levels in art that you observed among those in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also interested to hear how your ELL students do with VTS! I can't help but think it will really help them with their language skills. I think that pointing to areas of the image while you're paraphrasing will be key.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your insight about your students doing well when they're given the opportunity to participate more is important. Also, implementing VTS will definitely help to create a supportive culture in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have many ELL students as well and I'm very interested to hear about how well they do participating in this program. I would think that they may be quite engaged and that even if they don't understand what you are asking in the beginning that they will catch on quickly. Building a community with both quiet and boisterous students sounds like an exciting challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am fascinated by your described make-up of this class and will be very interested in seeing how your ELLs progress. What rotation day will this class be in art? I'd like to try to debrief you about them regularly since ELLs and reaching them through VTS are a particular interest of mine! They may be silent for the first time or two; second language theorists call it a "silent period" wherein they are taking a lot in even though they may not be communicating verbally. It's best to respect this and give them time. Hopefully, your patience will be rewarded with a flood of conversation in short order!

    ReplyDelete