Monday, April 8, 2013

Art Capacities Reflection.

As an artist, one of my strengths is to: Notice Deeply.
I actually believe that this quality is what forced me to become an artist. I feel like I have always been a great observer, and can sometimes do it while being unnoticed by others. I tend to notice subtleties in people's behavior as a reference to their emotions or secrets. I always felt like I noticed things I wasn't supposed to, and by acknowledging them when no one else wanted to discuss them, I needed art as my way to speak. All of the subtleties, details, and beauty of nature's phenomenon have intrigued me. As I've grown up, I've combined this power of observation with satire. This shows up frequently in my photography, where I show people the ridiculous things I am seeing. For example, I have an ongoing series of photographs about the lack of security in public schools in combination with the need to attempt it to eliminate paranoia. I also display the power of light and its impact on creating beauty or drama. I notice my internal feelings and psychological impulses in various situations, which is the power of self awareness and metacognition that drive my content in my artwork.

As an artist, one of my weaknesses is to: Pursue New Possibilities.
I think it is hard for me to come up with multiple ideas when I get one in my head. I noticed this when creating our list of 50 ideas, narrowing it down to one, and having difficulties coming up with more than my original idea of how to represent it. I was also nervous at the idea of exploring new mediums that I didn't visualize automatically. It could be helpful for me to force myself to not get locked into one representation by continuing artistic research, and always generating more than one possibility. For me I think this requires a return to journaling for my artwork in order to play more. And I would like to force myself to go to more art environments such as low budget movies, museums, and exhibitions. In photography I am working on not settling for the first good pictures I create, but continuing shooting for longer periods of time over a subject in order to allow for the potential of great ideas to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment