In my work I am exploring a concept that I describe best as
emotional slavery. This is a state of being in which one feels captive within
any relationship, while there are no tangible restraints forcing them to be
present against their will. Personal feelings such as guilt, and fear of regret
are some of the strongest connections that coerce people together, even in
negative circumstances. Due to the lack of literal bondage, contact with a
person becomes an individual choice.
Inner conflict is experienced between these internal emotions that make
one continue a relationship, while external circumstances form the desire for
it to end.
I am developing my work with chalk pastel drawings on pastelbord
to represent the vividness of this raw human condition in which so many are
emotionally trapped.

Hi Lori. Ive come back to your piece a few times today and sat with it. I know that likely some of it is getting lost in translation because Im seeing it so small. I wanted to share my responses. First off I really am struck by the power of the color. Its smacks me right in the face and holds me almost hostage as my eye wanders the composition. Compositionally its well balanced with deliberate movement through out, but the one thing I keep coming back to is the raw meat. This has captivated me even if I didnt want it too. For me, that meat speaks to the heart of what your after. Almost the end result of this idea of captivity .... Nothing more than a raw piece of meat..... he hand cuffs, even the knife in the hand, sharp side in the fingers and point possibly about to pierce the thumb, those images have power, but that meant confronts everything on a deep level. Go girl.
ReplyDelete