Sunday, August 26, 2012

Educational Philosophy.


After reading about big ideas and personal connections in Walker’s “Teaching Meaning in Artmaking”, as well as Olivia Gude’s articles of “Postmodern Principles” & “Principles of Possibility”, my ideas about teaching visual art were supported and enhanced. While originally I found it tempting to develop curriculum for students around techniques and specific skills, I’m not sure this is the best order when creating work with students. Perhaps when moving into the 21st century, it is more important to start with big ideas and themes, which will determine what specific skills students use in order to connect with their larger idea. This way, the standardized principles and elements of art do not appear to be the end all, be all of the art world; which excludes the importance of conceptualism in artwork. Conceptual and experimental investigations for students are necessary to generate significant ideas and multimedia works of art. This requires blending content and skill into their work. I believe this can be more easily achieved when starting with the idea and incorporating any set(s) of principles or elements of design into the work, rather than forcing a child’s idea to derive after using a specific technique.

My source of passion and motivation for teaching visual art is to incorporate holistic or psychological thinking into the work of students. This means students should be working with big ideas in their projects. These ideas can be directly linked to their personal lives through personal experiences, or those of the community that they are involved in. By working with conceptual content in all of the work, I believe art educators provide students with the opportunity to experience a therapeutic process in which they can freely express themselves. This opportunity to say whatever a child needs to say about the world is frequently rare, especially within school classrooms, which is why I believe art education is so important. I find this to be a crucial element in all children’s lives to be taught a healthy coping mechanism in ways to deal with the stressors of life. To support a child through this process, personal connections with the student and teacher are made, as well as a safe and respectful environment in the classroom. Furthermore, to put these ideas into practice, I believe teaching art should include a curriculum that is not based solely around teaching a techniques only, but should at least incorporate provided or individually selected concepts. It is also important to include a history of art, as well as contemporary practices. The knowledge of historical and present day techniques or concepts of other artists should be used as research, and a stepping stone for students to develop their own ideas and mediums from. I also find that the support of the school, administration, and outside community is invaluable for the amount of resources and encouragement for students.

In order to be an effective art teacher, I need to have an understanding of what is going on with my students individually and throughout their community. This will help me to understand their strengths, struggles, ways of thinking, resources, and how to help them develop their own identity. As discussed, I will also need to have an understanding of art history and current artists.  Not only do I need to know what others artists are producing, but I need to be able to show my students how they are doing it, and ways to incorporate new mediums and techniques into their own work. This will require me to be a lifelong learner as an educator. Finally, I believe art educators should develop relationships with their students individually, while creating a safe, positive community in their classroom where every student is respected and feels comfortable exhibiting and explaining their work.

In order to demonstrate my ability to teach, my personal portfolio of artwork will be essential to show employers as well as my students. This work should include things in my past and present, of various skills and interests, with my personal voice throughout the portfolio. This will be essential in displaying myself as a continuous learner. Furthermore for my personality, I will need to demonstrate my enthusiasm and passion for artwork; but more importantly my students’ growth as a whole. I will also need to be able to discuss the history of art and contemporary practices. And finally, my experience working with students, assessments, and positive reviews will also be crucial evidence for my ability to teach.

© Korschgen: Educational Philosophy 

No comments:

Post a Comment